Saturday, January 13, 2018

{Thrift Shop Temptations} Did I Ever Tell You I Wanted a Butter Churn?

Since I was a little girl, I've wanted to own a spinning wheel and a butter churn. As much as I make fun of that tacky Bicentennial stuff we keep stumbling across, I guess it left a lasting impression on my early childhood. Or I read the Little House on the Prairie books a few too many times.


I got my spinning wheel years ago and I got my butter churn at the thrift shop earlier this week. Actually, it's our third churn, but who's counting? The first one is just a crock, without the lid or plunger. The second one, which is technically my husband's, is the glass kind with paddles and a metal crank.

This is the kind I've been dreaming of...


And, yes, I do see that brand new screw and the plywood on the plunger. And, no, I didn't notice that until  I took the pictures. When I'm buying something that I think is old, I rarely spend enough money that it matters whether I'm right or wrong.

I'm fairly convinced that the crock itself is old. For the twelve bucks I spent -- did I mention that the butter churn of my dreams had a green tag and was 75% off? -- it doesn't matter if its a reproduction. I just want something neat looking to sit next to our big old fireplace. I could have spent a lot more for a brand new piece of decor that would look dated in a few months or years.

4 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I think it's a great find! I would have snagged it up, too. =) Little House books left a strong impression on me. I don't think you can read them too often!

colleen said...

Thanks for showing me what a butter churn looks like, I'd never seen one. It looks big to me I wonder how much butter was "usually" made. My guess is butter made this way would be just for the family to use ? Or would extra butter be made for trade or sale? I know my grandparents had chickens when I was a child and there had to be extra eggs so they must have sold them. They bought milk at the store but raised a steer for meat for them. They also raised rabbits for meat and must have sold them also because there were more rabbits then would be reasonable for 2 and they used the chickens for meat. They always had a vegetable garden as well.

Dar said...

A very nice find for the price, new screw or not I would have to try it out though and not use have it sit and look pretty. lol

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

It's awesome! I have a wooden one, but would love a small one with paddles. My sis recently found one at a thrift shop when she was here visiting. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails