Wednesday, November 29, 2017

{I've Been Reading} Poison




Poison by Galt Niederhoffer

The story of Cass and Ryan Connor gets off to what feels like a slow start and the writing style keeps the reader at a distance from the characters.  It took a while to get caught up in the story, but once I did I couldn't put it down.  And I hate that I can't tell you what I loved most about the book without giving too much away. There's a lot here about whether or not women are believed and the author refers to current events where accusations were dismissed....and at times I found myself unsure whether or not I believed Cass's interpretation of events. This is one of the scariest domestic thrillers I've ever read. I didn't love the ending, but I sure enjoyed the process of getting there.





Etched in Tears by Cheryl Hollan

This book has everything I've come to expect from the Webb's Glass Shop mysteries. Savannah is working hard to keep up with her busy schedule. She's got orders due and a new class to teach and a malfunctioning kiln...and then her high school boyfriend is found dead after his show at the Salvador Dali museum. The book kept a good balance between Savannah's everyday life and her investigation and the mystery. There's plenty of time spent with the continuing characters and their relationships, a chance to learn a bit about etching glass, and an interesting mystery that fits in with the glass shop theme. I really enjoyed this one.



Kill Creek by Scott Thomas

I love haunted house books. This one takes the usual house with a tragic past and makes things a lot more interesting by bringing four horror writers together within its supposedly haunted walls. I've read an awful lot of horror novels over the years and loved seeing how each character interpreted the house's tricks, influenced by the style of horror they write.  There are a few genuinely chilling moments and the whole thing is a fun read.



In Cave Danger by Kate Dyer-Seeley

As soon as I saw the description of this book, I requested a review copy. With Lava River Cave as part of the plot, I definitely wanted to read it. Our family tried to visit last summer, but there wasn't a single space left in the parking lot so I figured that a vicarious visit through one of my favorite genres was going to be the closest I came until at least next spring.

I had a hard time getting through the book. There is soooo much beer, and so much time spent describing the types and flavors of different brews. I was there for the cave, not the trendy restaurants and the other mystery that seemed to get more story time than the murder that this particular book is about. Maybe if I'd started with the first book in the series, I'd have been more involved with the main character and her life.  Or maybe if the author had invented her own cave instead of taking one that's found in online lists of places to go with young children and trying to make it frightening....

Disclosure -- I was provided with an advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails