Tuesday, July 25, 2017

I'd Forgotten Why I Gave up on Cross Stitch Kits

I used to shy away from cross stitch kits. Given the choice, I'd always buy a pattern and floss. 

Over all the years of not stitching, I'd forgotten about that. Now that I've splurged on so many kits from that estate sale, I remember why I felt that way.  


Unlike the brand new kits I've added to my stash over the past couple of years, this one came with a bundle of unidentified floss. I'm not good at telling the difference between light lime green, dark lime green, and light green. Or light blue, royal blue, light slate blue, and dark slate blue. (And no, I'm not making those color names up, they're all in there.)

So last night I pulled up a chart to convert the Bucilla floss numbers to DMC and used my DMC color card to make sure that  I was matching the right shades to the right color names. I still wound up making some educated guesses, but I think it's close enough, especially for a sunset.

3 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I agree 100% Probably why I haven't done a kit in years. However I've inherited all my MIL's UFKs so at some point I'll need to bite the bullet.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I stay away from kits for the exact same reason. Glad you were able to figure things out. I'll look forward to some stitching eye candy in the near future. Happy stitching! --Andrea

CathieJ said...

I like the your idea to use your floss charts. Yes, sometimes those floss colors in kits can be difficult to decipher.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails