Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Thin Line Between Stash and Clothing

Saturday morning, this was a linen skirt. By Saturday afternoon, I'd cut it into squares, backed them with fusible interfacing, and traced three of the designs for my latest embroidery project. 


It was probably never a flattering skirt, but I loved it and definitely got my money's worth out that thrift shop purchase. Even after I saw that it had a tiny hole, I kept wearing it because the gathers camouflaged it and I'm sure no one ever looks at the backs of my knees.

Then I decided that it was the perfect fabric for a quilt I wanted to make and out came the scissors!   The thought had crossed my mind that this linen would make a good purse. I just needed the right project and pattern...which turned out to be for a quilt.

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 4 3/4 yards
Fabric added this week:  0
Fabric added year  to date: 1 yard (+2 sheets)
Net used for 2016: 3 3/4 yards

Yarn used this Week: 400  yards
Yarn used year to Date: 1950 yards
Yarn added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net used for 2016: 1950 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Great way to upcycle! I buy cloths with every intentions of someday making a quilt out of them after they are worn at least a few times. :)

Judy S. said...

Fun!

Scooquilt said...

It's all part of the cycle! This looks like a good use for this fabric.

Deb said...

Great use for the skirt, I too purchase linen and other clothing from thrift shops with the purpose of cutting it up for other project, I have made everything from jean pocket purses, to shopping totes, quilts and remade bridal gowns into christening gowns.
I love the patterns on the pieces its going to look great look forward to the finsih.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails