Saturday, February 13, 2016

Custom Socks Knit to Fit Your Feet


I don't know how many books of sock patterns I own. Back when I was reading about socks because I was too intimidated to actually try knitting one, I snapped up every title that I could find and afford. Since then, I've become a little pickier. Does the book teach my something I don't already know? Does it have a bunch of patterns I absolutely can't live without?

Custom Socks: Knit to Fit Your Feet by Kate Atherley fits into the first  category. It covers the basics of sock knitting -- yarn selection, needle choices and methods, how to knit a basic sock for your own measurements and gauge. Then it gets into the complicated stuff, like how cables and colorwork change your gauge and how to work with stitch patterns with large repeats. Each sock pattern in the book includes a design case study, explaining how different elements were chosen and adjusted.  From there, it moves on to adjustments for non-average feet. (I think I found my own problem here -- I haven't pulled out a tape measure yet, but I'm betting that my foot and ankle circumference aren't the same.)

I'd recommend this one for knitters who really want to understand how their socks work or aren't knitting for the most common sizes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails