Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I've found the strangest things at garage sales...


This platypus is probably one of my first garage sale finds. I don't know how old I was when I bought it -- nine or ten, maybe younger. Definitely not much older. It was either a quarter or fifty cents.




The neighbor girl told me that it was from Australia and real kangaroo fur. The tag on his belly reads "Made in Queensland, Australia Koala & Joey Toys Pty. Ltd." I've Googled everything I can think of and the closest thing I can find is this ebay listing. The eyes and little rubber claws look the same as mine, but that one looks either much newer (my guess) or much more carefully preserved.



Some of the hair has rubbed away and he's stuffed so tightly that those stitches make me nervous. I can easily imagine a seam failing. But considering it's a toy I bought during my own childhood and it might not have been very new then, I suppose I can't complain too much.




This post is linked to Thrifter Share, Ivy & Elephants, Knick of Time, Thriftasaurus,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a small koala bear, bought by my brother about 50 years ago for me from Australia. I think your animal is similar construction and is a platipus again from Australia.

Unknown said...

I have a koala bear with an identical tag that says "Made in Queensland Koala & Joey Toys Pyt". My grandparents brought it back for my sister and me in the early 1970's from their trip to Australia. I have not been able to find any other information regarding the company that made these items.

Unknown said...

I have a koala bear with the identical tag as your platypus. The tag shows "made in queensland Koala & Joey Toys Pyt". My grandparents brought it back from Australia for my sister and me in the early 1970's. I have not been able to find any additional information on the manufacturer of these toys.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails