Wednesday, December 31, 2014

{Yarn Along} The Accidental Alchemist

There are a lot of things I should be doing right now. Probably least important on the list is figuring out which reptile these socks are reminding me of. So far, my Google searches have  got it narrowed down to the Banded Gecko. The yarn (in case anyone wants sock that look like a Banded Gecko) is Patons Kroy Socks, colorway Buckthorn Stripes. 





I like quirky cozy mysteries and The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian definitely delivers! Newly arrived in Portland, Oregon, Zoe Faust  begins unpacking the crates of antiques she had shipped from her previous home in Paris and discovers something that definitely doesn't belong to her -- a walking, talking gargoyle who demands her help deciphering an old book. (And yes, that is a cooking whisk that Dorian is holding in the cover art.) Then the contractor she hired to repair her dilapidated new home is found dead on her porch.

I loved this one. The author weaves interesting details of Portland's history into the mystery and provides a convincing explanation for why the gargoyle exists and why he wound up on Zoe's doorstep.

For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times.



 

Disclosure - the publisher provided me with an ARC.

4 comments:

LauraLillyLaura said...

The socks def look rather reptile. Love the brown and white pattern.

CathieJ said...

Love the yarn in that sock. I think I may like that book. I have added it to my "to read" list.

Paula, the quilter said...

I've made socks with that yarn! I seem to wear them a lot since I noticed them wearing a bit thin on the heel. I'll have to look into the book, thanks for the tip.

Judy S. said...

Nice socks! Sounds like a fun book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails