Sunday, December 22, 2013

the salted caramels that weren't meant to be

Salted caramel is one of those things that our family has agreed to disagree about. Hubby wasn't impressed. I think it's one of the yummiest things I've discovered in recent years.  The boys know it's got sugar in it -- in their book, that's enough. 


So when I saw the recipes on Pinterest, the only thing that stopped me from starting a batch right away was our lack of whipping cream. A couple of days later, I was ready to give it a try.  It tasted wonderful, but it didn't set so that I could cut it into pieces. A fair amount was eaten with a spoon or licked off of the fingertips of passing boys before I finally gave up and tossed it. I used the candy thermometer and followed the directions, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Weekly Stash Report

I finished two knitting projects this week. One probably won't appear here until after Christmas, just because I've got other things to squeeze onto the blog before the big day.

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 69 3/4 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 311 1/2 yards
Net Added for 2013: 241 3/4 yards


Yarn Used this Week: 500 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 3615 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 9486 yards
Net Added for 2013: 5871 yards

Sounds bad, doesn't it? But at 200 yards a skein, it's "only" 30 skeins. And 11 of those are for Teenage Daughter's sweater.

I'm linking up to Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Maybe it was too humid. That can cause problems with candies that don't set. My Mom wasn't able to make divinity till she moved to Oklahoma, which is a lot dryer than when she lived withing 12 miles of the Mississippi River.

You and I are at about the same place in the fabric stash this year. I'm planning for some stash reduction next year. We'll see how that works out.

DeeDee said...

Fudge is about all I am able to make and have it come out okay. When you go to pull fabric for a quilt you will have a great selection to pick from. Merry Christmas.

GranChris said...

Caramels can be tricky. Check that your thermometer is correct by putting it in a pot of boiling water, should be 100 degrees C. Anyway you can always scoop it back out, add some more evap milk, reheat and you have wonderful caramel sauce for ice cream. Store in a jar in the fridge.

Jessica Hadden said...

Have you tried the salted caramel frap at Starbucks? Mmm

Dar said...

Salted Caramel sounded good. Too bad it didn't set up. I'm just getting into knitting, so I'm intrigued by your yarn stash. Maybe I need more stash. I've stopped adding to the fabric stash so I guess yarn stash is appropriate. lol Merry Christmas to you and your family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails