Wednesday, October 23, 2013

{Yarn Along} Thanksgiving by Ellen Cooney

Between Halloween sewing and the skull cake and trying to make a possum costume, my pile of socks hasn't changed at all this week.  As soon as I can carve out a block of time to get that second heel turned on my vacation socks, I'll be able to pick them up and sew a few rounds of ribbing whenever I've got some time to fill. But heels take concentration and I've got projects with deadlines to finish first. 


I did manage to thoroughly lose myself in Thanksgiving by Ellen Cooney. The novel, which starts in 1662 and follows the Morely family through the years to 2012, is a perfect read for this time of year.  I've got to admit that I loved the earlier segments more -- they were so rich with detail. I could see and smell that kitchen full of pumpkins and dirty bits of vine. There were so many details of historical life that I'd never read about before (and I've read a lot of historical fiction over the years.)  By the time the author got to the present day, I was losing patience with the Morely women, maybe because their problems were much less exotic and interesting. I loved the way that family stories changed slightly from chapter to chapter as the truth was forgotten, how family members lost track of which heirlooms had belonged to which of their ancestors.


For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis



Disclosure -- the publisher provided me with an electronic review copy. 

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Such pretty yarns!

Corrie B said...

Sounds like a good book, I may get it, just what I fancy at the moment!

straythreads said...

beautiful socks thanks for the book link

Judy S. said...

Love the sock colorway! That sounds like an interesting read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails