Saturday, July 20, 2013

{Whatcha Reading?} Hill of Beans


I just finished reading Hill of Beans by John Snyder.

Here's the book's description from Amazon --

JOHN SNYDER'S memoir of growing up in the Depression era south evokes a time gone by. It is written with affection and understanding about people dealing with hard times, sometimes with cruelty, sometimes with violence .. including a mysterious case of arson that forever changed the author's life. In three parts, It is about early childhood among North Carolina mountaineers, living for a time with two eccentric aunts, and growing up on a sharecropper farm before the author went away to college.

It's an interesting glimpse into a different time and way of life, one that I enjoyed reading even though sometimes the author shared more than I was comfortable reading.  If you do decide to read this one, keep in mind that these events happened in a different era and some of them seem awful by today's standards, at least to me. 

Disclosure -- the publisher provided me with a review copy.

1 comment:

Dar said...

I just finished reading "Promise Me This" by Cathy Gohlke which I thoroughly enjoyed. It begins in Southhampton with the sailing of the Titanic and continues through WWI. It was a book that I couldn't put down and didn't want it to end. The author makes history come alive and very memorable. I'd highly recommend it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails