Saturday, July 06, 2013

three meals a day

If I'm doing this right, we're supposed to eat three meals a day at home and I'm supposed to cook everything from scratch. At least that's the message I keep hearing from people who I doubt live up to this gold standard themselves.  The biggest problem is that I'm out of creative ideas, and we're all getting sick of the same old thing.  
 
I've found some inspiration! 

The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook by Wanda E. Brunstetter is full of things I might actually cook, with ingredients that I might actually have in my kitchen or be able to pick up on a quick run to the grocery store.  First on my list of things I want to try are the Buckwheat Pancakes. Next are the Soda Crackers and Breakfast Fried Zucchini.  The recipes don't tell you how many servings they make, but I'm so used to having to scale things up for my family of six that I rarely make anything using the amounts as written.

Scattered through the book are descriptions of different Amish communities. I was really more interested in the breakfast and dinner ideas, and there are plenty of those.

Got any other cookbook recommendations for me? Or just lunch and dinner ideas? I'd love to hear them!

Disclosure -- my copy of the book was provided by the publisher.


2 comments:

Angela Smith said...

A side dish favorite for my family is corn casserole.
1 pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter
Heat in iron skillet, mix till creamy.
Add 2 cans shoe peg corn ( any kind works). If using regular can corn be sure to drain it.
Add 1 can green chilies
Add some bread crumbs, mix it all up
Pour into casserole dish add shredded cheese ( sometimes i layer corn mix bread crumbs and cheese) and bake 350* for about 15 mins.

Enjoy....this is my standard potluck dish. And make it gluten free by leaving out bread crumbs.

Ranch Wife said...

Fixing 3 meals a day is a lot of work. We live 30 miles from town so I really do cook a lot. We don't eat prepackaged meals although I did just try a Smokehouse chicken that is seasoned and you cook it and it was darn tasty. One thing I have done is make a list of everything I cook. When I'm out of ideas, it helps. I also try to make a new recipe at least once a week. Sometimes it makes it to my list. Sometimes it doesn't. :) We eat our big meal at noon and something small for supper at night. Sometimes that is leftovers. I have some recipes on my blog. www.dirtroadquilter.blogspot.com
Also,if it freezes well, make extra. It's handy to pull a homecooked meals from the freezer.
That looks like a good cookbook. I have had good luck with Amish and Mennonite recipes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails