Sunday, May 26, 2013

sheets and knees and sock knitting

Something has changed...something good. Or my knee is just playing with me and I'm going to wind up in trouble after letting my guard down. Last week, I was at Carlsbad Caverns with my husband and kiddos. Before they let you go down through the natural entrance, they go through the list of rules and warn you to use the elevator if you've got a heart conditions or knee injury...

We've gone through the caverns at least once since the first knee injury, maybe once since the second.  I knew I could do it, but figured I'd be pretty sore by the end, so I figured I'd go slowly and take a bunch of Advil once we were done with the three mile hike. By the end, I was tired, but me knee didn't hurt.

Yesterday, I was helping a friend pack to move. She lives in the most gorgeous 1930s house, complete with a flight of steep stairs that twists halfway up. I was up and down and up and down (get to the top and the cell phone, which I'd just thought about stuffing into the pocket of my jeans rings at the bottom) and thought about telling her halfway through the day that I was going to have to limit my trips. But  I didn't. And I can still walk this morning... I'm daring to hope that this means my knee has finally decided to settle down and stop making decisions for me. Or I'm jinxing myself by even typing about it.

Weekly Stash Report

We spent the past week on the road. Hubby set a new record for miles driven in one day, and I set a new record for biggest chunk of sock knitted in one day...both on the same day, of course! 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 39 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 87 1/4 yards
Net Added for 2013: 48 1/4 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 400 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 1550 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 7100 yards
Net Added for 2013: 5550 yards

I'm not counting sheets as yardage this year. The plan is to keep track (I've added three)  and add them at the end of the year in their own category, instead of converting them into yards the way I have in previous years. It makes sense to me.

Before we left on the trip, Grandma gave me this sheet for a project (not a quilt) I'd told her I needed to start. It's one of my favorite vintage sheet prints, and I didn't realize that it came in brown. Except for the fact that it's a fitted sheet and not quite big enough, I think it's the perfect backing for my drab postage stamps. I'll just have to piece it with something else and explain the change in plans to Grandma, who I'm sure will understand once I show her the front of the quilt.




To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times. I'm also linking up with Sunday Stash at Finding Fifth.

3 comments:

Catrin Lewis said...

Wow! I can't believe how much fabric and yarn you get through! I love the vintage sheet your grandma gave you. I bought a sheet yesterday but I'm not sharing till next Sunday x

ipatchandquilt said...

I do not have a clue how much yarn that actually is... but it sure sounds like a lot! ;-)
I just bought an enormous pile of fabric. Maybe I should keep a list like you do! Or maybe not... becuase it would only say "You definetely do NOT need more"! LOL
Esther
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Finding Fifth said...

I still have not touched my vintage sheet project but I am hoping to have it done by spring down under. Thanks for linking up this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails