Sunday, March 03, 2013

backings!



Teenage Daughter needed felt for a project, and I had a green baby quilt and a pink baby quilt in the works that needed backings. With Snuggle Flannel 60% off and a 20% off fabric purchase, it was just easier to buy new fabric than to ransack the sewing room.

Yup, I was being lazy. I also have a couple of nice baby quilts that I didn't want to skimp on by using something totally inappropriate. If I dug deeply enough into my stash, I'm sure there would have been a good choice, but I decided to spend five bucks instead of waiting.  And it's not like I don't have other pink and green quilts in my near future.

I'm glad I gave in to temptation. The Snuggle Flannel was completely picked over, but the Quilter's Showcase was on sale for half off -- nice enough cotton for two dollars a yard after I used that 20% off coupon. In addition to the fabric for the baby quilts, I got a nice green print for the turtle quilt, and a nice light print for the big girl version of Annabelle.

Backings are one of my big quilting dilemmas. I hate spending four or five dollars a yard on a fabric I don't love, to back quilts I don't love, just because it's the only choice that'll work. If I've got an appropriate sheet, or big pieces of fabric to piece into a back, I'm in absolute heaven! 

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 2 1/2 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 21 yards
Added this Week: 15 yards
Added Year to Date: 29.5 yards
Net Added for 2012: 8.5 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 230 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 3400 yards
Net Added for 2013: 3170 yards

To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times.

3 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

Numbers don't look bad - you'll be in the more used that added in no time, and you had good reasons for those purchases. I'm trying to use my stash for piecing backs - just haven't needed a big back yet to make a stash difference - grin.

Dar said...

Never pass up a sale, I always say. You will find time to use what's in your stash later on. That's my motto.

Jo said...

I have trouble with sales and just purchasing the fabric instead of searching through my stash too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails