Thursday, June 21, 2012

why I'm not quilting today

My nerves are fraying rapidly. Right now, half a dozen men are stomping around on my roof, ripping off the old shingles and whatever is lurking under them. The house is small so even if they're not directly over my head at a given time, it still sounds like they are.

This is day two.

I can mostly tune out the scraping and stomping, but I've got three little boys. My brain is wired to jump at sudden loud noises. Every half hour or so I hear something dramatic and take a head count to be sure that the kids are all accounted for and not causing the noise in question. Because my typical day is filled with noises that require immediate investigation and intervention.

The front door has to be cracked open to let in the extension cord for their power saw. (Which is plugged into the same circuit as my sewing machine and everything else at this end of the house, so I can't use the sewing machine, or iron, or microwave, or vacuum cleaner. Or my washing machine, which is unplugged so they can use that outlet.)

It's kind of like being stuck in the world's noisiest and most boring waiting room. Except I don't have to keep the kids quiet or in their seats. I just have to keep them from unplugging the extension cord while they're trying to shove each other out the front door. And keep them all within sight because the roofing sounds mask all of those little auditory clues that usually let me know when someone is up to something.

After the roofers left yesterday, I thought I'd make dinner and then get some sewing done. Two seconds later, I picked up an empty cookie sheet that someone else had just taken out of the oven and burned every finger on my right hand. I haven't had so much fun since the bee stings and root canal. I'm linking this post to Finding the Funny over at My Life and Kids, because all I can do at this point is laugh at the situation.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh Michelle I remember when we had our roof redone. I thought I would go crazy. Not only were they tearing off the old roof, we had our carport extended, so there was all the sawing and hammering which seemed like it went on for weeks!! Hope they get done quickly so you can get back to your quiet world of three little boys :-)

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Sounds like it's time to farm the kids out to a grandma or good friend for the day and you take a book or some handwork and go somewhere quiet for a few hours...library, park, out by a creek in the country somewhere, anywhere, just so it's quiet and gives your nerves a chance to recover.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

And here I sit thinking, 'I wish men were banging around on my roof tearing off shingles and replacing the roof." :) I hope they finish quickly so that things resume to their normal levels of craziness and here's sending prayers for quick healing for your fingers. I've done that and it is quite painful. Do you have emergency chocolate in the house? :)

janequiltsslowly said...

Ouch! I've done that myself. Heal quickly. I hope the roof is done and you can get back to a normal routine soon.

Unknown said...

I SO GET IT! We have been preparing our house to sell for the last several weeks and it's been a nuthouse around here! We had to get new carpet on Monday. I haven't worked harder IN MY LIFE to move everything in preparation for that. They moved the furniture, but I was stuck with moving everything else. It'll all be worth it, right??

(Thanks for linking this up with us over at #findingthefunny a couple of weeks ago! Sorry I am such a loser and just now stopping by to read it!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails