Last night, I finally got to start the "H" on Heath's Weasley sweater. Those eight inches of solid stockinette I had to get through before I could start playing with two colors of yarn took days and days, but somehow I'm already up to the cross bar. And it looks decent, unlike my only other attempt at intarsia. I wasn't at all excited about trying it again, but it sounded more fun than duplicate stitch, and this time it hasn't been bad at all.
I love the way the colors work together. I really like the bottom edge. There's an actual name for the edging where you do several rows of stockinette, then a few rows of 1x1 ribbing, then switch back to stockinette, but I can't remember what it is. I probably found it in Knitting on the Edge, or Knitting Over the Edge.
I'm sort of using the pattern here, but I'm modifying things as I go because my yarn isn't the same gauge and I didn't trust plain stockinette not to roll right up to the neckline. I'm sure I'll make some other changes by the time I'm done, because that seems to be what I do lately.
I hope I didn't give the wrong impression about my feelings about my yarn stash in yesterday's post -- I really am excited about knitting with most of it. It's the thought of how long it will take me to make even a little itty bitty dent in the exciting stuff (life's too short to worry about the icky yarn) that could start to stress me out. If I let it. And I'm determined not to let it loom over me like a dark raincloud or a scary to-do list.
I've got plans for that yarn! While I was sorting through it yesterday, I dug out some red hemp to use for the shopping bag KAL over at knittingparents and some worsted weight acrylic for a pair of Horcrux socks.