Friday, December 28, 2007

Halfway into the Sasquatch Shawl, I stumbled across a thread about using sock yarn for shawls and read the distressing news that nylon/wool blends won't block. But I'd already fallen in love with the way the color and the stitch pattern were getting along together, so I kept going. How badly could it possibly turn out?

By the time I cast off, I had a short ruffly blob and little twinges of panic were starting to nibble at me. So it sat and sat some more, because if you don't try to block it or felt it or sew it together, you can keep telling yourself that it's going to work out just fine.

Last night, I wove in the ends and spread it out on the living room floor and guess what?

HPIM1468


Seems like you can block this stuff after all!

Pattern: Bigfoot Shawl (from Wrapped in Comfort by Allison Jeppson Hyde)
Yarn: 3 Skeins Patons Kroy 3 ply
Needles: I can't remember -- whatever size the pattern called for.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Who told you you can't block a blend like that? Of course you can!

Alison said...

Oh, duh, I hit send too soon (smacks forehead.) Backing up... That is a gorgeous shawl. Thank you for the photo, it is so cool to see what others have done with those patterns!

old lady said...

The coloring looks lovely in that pattern! Wear it in good health!

Norm Deplume said...

I was just ogling this pattern this week, thinking about requesting that book from Interlibrary Loan. I really do love yours-- I think I'll put it on my short list of to-do's.

Pat said...

WOW Michelle - that is gorgeous!! Beautiful pattern - beautiful yarn! and it sure looks like it blocked out perfectly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails