Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Quinn's Fishie Sweater

The Boatneck Baby Sweater from Baby Knits for Beginners has lots of things going for it. It isn't a cardigan, doesn't have a zipper up the front or the back or those annoying little buttons at the side of the neck, or any of the other things that annoyed me about every pattern I looked at in my search for the perfect baby sweater. It's just a plain, easy to knit pullover. And because it is so plain, it needs to be knitted many times in many colors and stitch patterns. The first time, I used Caron Simply Soft and followed the pattern as written.

Here's #2, otherwise known as Quinn's Fishie Sweater:



The time I didn't follow much but the dimensions and sleeve shaping from the original pattern. To keep the fishies (which didn't show up well with the yarn I used) lined up and avoid as many seams as possible, I knitted the bottom half in the round. I replaced the garter stitch rows at the neck and cuffs with wider bands of seed stitch. And to get out of even more seams, I did a three-needle bind off at the shoulders.

I like these little sweaters! They're easy and cuddly and cute. Next time, I want to try to overlap the shoulders a bit so it's more like a regular onsie. I can sort of almost visualize how it might work.

Since Alex claims she saw a bug in our new yarn while she was sorting through it, the whole bag is hibernating safely in the chest freezer. I'm hoping it was just a flea the cat carried in, but just in case it's something that wants to eat my yarn, I guess I'd better freeze it. And my KnitPicks order still isn't here. It was shipping on the 10th, so I'm getting impatient. How am I supposed to knit cute little booties when half my dk wool is getting frozen and the other half is still in the mail?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Darling sweater and congratulations on the stash enhancement. Odds and end skeins definitely come in handy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails